|Position Title:||Research Assistant 1|
|Position ID:||ResAsst 1 Qq|
|Location:||Los Baños, Laguna, Phils. (local hiring)|
|Salary:||Commensurate with required qualifications|
Quantitative Aquatics, Inc. is a non-stock, non-profit, non-governmental organization established in the Philippines in February 2017. Q-quatics was created to support the assembly and dissemination of key data on living aquatic resources for the development of research tools in collaboration with international partners. As such, Q-quatics manages the global biodiversity information systems FishBase, SeaLifeBase, and the global aquatic biogeography initiative, AquaMaps.
Q-quatics also supports the cutting-edge databases and research developed by the Sea Around Us , which provides policy options for marine fisheries resources, their sustainable use and possible responses to climate change. As such, it partners with the Sea Around Us in identifying projects that would help initiate or maintain research on global fisheries and biodiversity conservation.
Roles and Responsibilities
Quantitative Aquatics, Inc. seeks a Research Assistant with the following responsibilities to work in a project funded by the Minderoo Foundation Pty Ltd, in collaboration with the Sea Around Us and the University of Western Australia:
- Search and compile references relevant to catch reconstruction and biomass assessment of marine fish stocks;
- Extract and encode catch data for marine fish species from different ecoregions;
- Undergo training on stock assessment using the CMSY (Catch Maximum Sustainable Yield) method;
- Assist other team members with the tasks at hand;
- Perform all other related duties that may be assigned from time to time by the Team Leader.
New graduates will learn a highly useable research method and are encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will be trained in the use of the CMSY (Catch Maximum Sustainable Yield) method developed by Martell and Froese (2013) for assessment of data-limited stocks and how catch reconstructions are done for the above purpose.
BS Fisheries or BS Biology (preferably major in Zoology, Ecology, Wildlife or Systematics)
- Knowledge in aquatic biodiversity and taxonomy is preferred;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to details;
- Good communication skills both written and verbal English;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented environment;
- Could work effectively with minimum supervision, good time management skills and high degree of initiative and resourcefulness; and
- Proficient knowledge of computer software, e.g., MS Office applications.
For immediate action, please send your application cover letter, comprehensive resumé with name and contact details of 3 referees, and transcript of records not later than 28 February 2019 via email with subject ResAsst 1 Qq addressed to email@example.com or via snail mail to:
Ms. Susan M. Luna
G.S. Khush Hall, IRRI Compound
Los Baños 4031 Laguna
Phone: +63.49.536.2701 to 05 loc. 2864
The hiring is immediate and thus, the position will be filled up once a suitable candidate is found. Only candidates who have met the required experience and qualifications for this position will be contacted. However, we will keep your personal information in our database for future opportunities, unless you direct us otherwise.
Thank you very much for your interest.
Q-quatics is an equal opportunity employer.
We value respect, integrity, and honesty in a diversified workplace.