The year 2020 marks the 30th anniversary of FishBase and 15th anniversary of SeaLifeBase, two online global biodiversity information systems that, together, provide biological and ecological information for more than 110,000 aquatic species of the world. As part of a year-long digital campaign aimed at celebrating the anniversaries of FishBase and SeaLifeBase in times of physical distancing, Q-quatics in collaboration with Sea Around Us, produced a wide range of multimedia publications highlighting the contributions and value of the celebrated global species databases to the scientific community and the public at large. From videos to podcasts, to written articles and infographics, users were able to learn more about the origins of FishBase and SeaLifeBase, their evolution, the people in front and behind the scenes that brought these projects to life and kept them up-to-date, and how these resources were utilized and found valuable by students, researchers, fisheries managers, NGOs and more.
- FishBase Story/FishBaseTurns 30
- SeaLifeBase Story/SeaLifeBase Turns 15
- FishBase and SeaLifeBase by the Numbers
- Meet the Champions of FishBase and SeaLifeBase/Who supports FishBase and SeaLifeBase?
- Episode 1: A conversation with Rainer Froese about FishBase
- Episode 2: Daniel Pauly talks about the creation of FishBase
- Episode 3: Deng Palomares reveals the origins of SeaLifeBase
- Episode 4: Cornelia Nauen on how she helped make FishBase a Reality
- Episode 5: Nicolas Bailly on how SeaLifeBase was built from an empty shell of FishBase
INTERVIEWS: Stories of People Behind FishBase and SeaLifeBase
- Susan Luna – Supporting FishBase since the early days
- Emily Capuli – Three decades at FishBase
- Patricia Yap: Passionate about SeaLifeBase